Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathleen[_4_] Kathleen[_4_] is offline

Default Food Allergy Warnings

Chris Marksberry wrote:

>>Kathleen > wrote:
>>

>>>As it turns out, she was fine, just badly bruised. But I was alarmed to
>>>hear that one of the techs tried to tell my daughter that the seafood
>>>allergy/contrast dye link was an old wives tale and that they could get
>>>this over with a lot faster if they just used the standard juice.

>>The tech is right. Elemental iodine is not the allergen in seafood.
>>
>>http://www.wdxcyber.com/ngen22.htm
>>
>>I'm allergic to shellfish and my insurance wouldn't pay for the
>>alternate contrast agent. So the last time I needed the contrast
>>x-ray, I just didn't tell them about the shellfish. Everything went
>>fine.
>>
>>You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
>>stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.
>>
>>-sw

> But they do still use leeches!
>
> http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/504_leech.html

And I wouldn't balk at the use of leeches.

However, I do have an issue with the injection of chemicals that a
respected family physician has told us to strictly avoid given the
child's history, especially given that the sole proponent of ignoring
the protocol appeared to be annoyed by the additional time required for
the alternate protocol.

Got a point to make with me? Try to avoid making it plain that you're
cutting into your smoke break/lunch hour - dear daughter mentioned that
you reeked.