Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Hans Fugal[_3_] Hans Fugal[_3_] is offline

Default Converting Recipes

Mike Romain wrote:
> Sam wrote:
>> Mike Romain wrote:
>>> Is there a simple explanation for bakers %?
>>>

>> My guess, if you haven't gotten it by now - probably not for you.
>>
>> Sam
>>

> Humor me and maybe educate others please. I haven't paid too much
> attention to it because any exact measurement bread recipes have not
> worked for me. Maybe it's time to try something new....
>
> Mike

The best way I've found to explain baker's percentage is that it's a
ratio. 100% hydration means 1:1. 50% hydration means 1:2 (water to
flour). Yes, the percent sign is a misnomer. Yes, some bakers who don't
understand math very well must have come up with the percent sign. Oh
well - as a system it works well, because flour is your core ingredient.