Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Dick Adams Dick Adams is offline

Default Converting Recipes

"Matt Fitz" > wrote in message ...
> It seems to me people will generally fall into two camps: one is
> content to know that the ingredients will do what is expected of them
> if treated in a proper (practiced) manner; the other has to know "why"
> at a cellular level(*).

Do you think knowing why is at the root of it, or just the determination
to wrap and mystify oneself with jargon?

> ... practicing the art doesn't mean you must avoid the science.

Science? Oh, really? What science, exactly?

Well, there is some bread science, but not much of it has appeared
around here recently, except maybe for a nonspecific reference to an
archaic book, and occasional presumptive naming of sourdough
microorganisms.

> Either way, as long as I am filled with good bread and good beer, not
> much else matters.

Sojourn into the science of nutrition may be beneficial if the carbohydrates
have not already claimed their victory.

--
Dicky

*Knowing why at a cellular level is useful for understanding how a
single compound cell can grow up into to the huge malevolent,
environmentally-destructive individual that each of us has become.
But perhaps the cellular level is a bit deep for bread.