Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Romain Mike Romain is offline

Default Converting Recipes

Dick Adams wrote:

> Unless the fridge temperature is exactly right for your interval between
> bakes, like http://lumpymuffins.home.comcast.net...h/NoWaste.html ,
> a fridge culture should be actived before it will serve properly as a starter.
>
>> I find my starter is a slowly growing sponge because I keep it cold.

> Looks like you lucked out, like the lumpymuffins man did.

Could be, but it isn't perfect. I do 'activate' my starter when it come
out of the fridge and have very consistent results these days because I
now know what I am looking for in the way of starter activity.

If it is too slow or too sour because it has been stored too long, I
feed it several times to make it really active which also makes my
starter less sour before using unless I want a heavier loaf. I mostly
let the sour come from the final rise time as you do unless my 'market'
or 'family' wants the heavy sour loaf. I usually get the bread I am
aiming for which is nice.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com