Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rusty[_1_] Rusty[_1_] is offline

Default Is RISOTTO hard to make at home?

On Jan 25, 2:39*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Giusi replied to FERRANTE:
>
> >> Every time I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and Gordon screams at the "chefs"
> >> because they cannot make risotto properly, I get the impression that
> >> it must be a difficult dish to make. Is it?

> > I posted a lamb risotto recipe last week here which includes the what to
> > look for etc. that I tell my students. *It was lamb because that was the
> > latest I'd made and I love it. *Any other broth/stock can be sibstituted.
> > Risotto does not have to have bits of solid food in it, although it often
> > does. *It does live or die on the quality of the broth and I always use
> > homemade except for occasionall Better than Bouillon in what I call Legal
> > Cheats Risotto-- published on Group Recipes.

> > It is not difficult but don't screw with the recipe timing and procedure.
> > Consider it a meditation opportunity. *There is nothing more comforting on
> > cold wet days.

> I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind of
> shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who really don't
> deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is practiced in
> that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three minutes after the
> order is called out.
>
> Bob

In a risotto recipe printed in the Times Online, Gordon Ramsay
explains how they do some advance preparation on the rice used in
risotto at his restaurants:

"When you cook risotto at home you can do the whole thing in one go
because you have plenty of time to stir it - in my restaurants we have
to blanch the rice first and then bring it all together later on. It’s
a nice way of speeding up the process - the rice just goes back into
the pan with the stock and quickly starts to become workable......"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle822785.ece