Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Doc Doc is offline

Default Converting Recipes

On Mar 4, 11:43*am, Darren > wrote:
> Is there a standard formula to convert non-sourdough recipes to using
> sourdough? *Specifically, reducing flour/liquid amounts or eliminating
> baking soda/baking powders (and obviously packaged yeast)?

Darren,
When I do a conversion, I try to guess how sour I want the product to
be and then set the fraction of the flour that will be in the starter
(5% makes a very sour loaf while 30% makes a less sour loaf) then
subtract from the original recipe amounts the flour and the liquid
that will be in the starter (to make this an easy calculation always
use a 100% hydration starter). The only thing you have left to figure
out is how long it must ferment the mix to develop the dough. So long
as your fermentation temperature is always the same, it should only
take a few tries to get it right. If the result is too sour, increase
the fraction of the flour that is in the starter and if it is not sour
enough, cut back. At 30% of the flour in the starter and a 90 deg F
fermentation temperature, it should take 2.5 to 3 hrs before it is
ready to be made into loaves (depending to some extent on you starter
particulars). Lower temps and lower percentages take more time.

Doc