Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Dick Adams Dick Adams is offline

Default Converting Recipes

"Darren" > wrote in message ...
> Is there a standard formula to convert non-sourdough recipes to using
> sourdough? Specifically, reducing flour/liquid amounts or eliminating
> baking soda/baking powders (and obviously packaged yeast)?

It takes very little sourdough (like maybe a half teaspoon full) to start a
sponge. A sponge might be 1/4 or 1/3 the volume of the final dough.
For sourdough rye, depending on the process, the organisms contaminating
the grain may be enough to start.

A liftime supply of sourdough starter can be obtained from a few granules
of dried active sourdough.

A minute amount of yeast (like a tenth of a tsp) can raise a batch of dough
if you are willing to wait until tomorrow before baking.

I suppose you could make make sourdough quick breads, but without
the baking powder they are no longer quick breads.

Sourdough is a very enigmatic stuff.

That didn't help, right?

--
Dicky