Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Soup with lima beans?

That is very similar to my recipe, but I don't use the cayenne (though you
could) and I don't need any oil. I just put it all into a pot and boil it
till everything is tender. One pot meal kind of thing......

Ev

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> Here's a recipe I found online that sounds good...I probably wouldn't put
> allot of the cayenne in ..maybe a few drops of pepper sauce instead...just
> to add a quiet bite I suppose you could add ham instead of smoked turkey I
> sometimes add a few chunks of smoked pork chops in my bean...adds a bit
> more flavor then just ham....
>
> Four meal size servings:
>
> 1 pound dried baby lima beans, soaked over night
> 2 carrots, finely chopped
> 2 small – medium onions, finely chopped
> ½ pound smoked turkey in a thick slice, cut into ½ inch cubes
> 2 tablespoons canola oil
> ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne
> 1 bay leaf
> 2 cups chicken stock, plus 1 qt water (or use all water)
> Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
>
> Optional:
> ½ cup bread crumbs
> 1 cup grated Romano of Parmesan cheese
> ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
>
> Heat oil in a pot and sauté onions and carrots until softened. Add bay
> leaf and
> cayenne and cook another minute or so. Drain and rinse beans and add to
> pot
> along with the turkey, stock and water. Bring to a boil, and then lower to
> simmer. Check beans at one hour and every 10 minutes until they are soft.
> Using a wooden spoon or spatula mash some beans against the side of the
> pot,
> stirring until soup is slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
>
> To serve, put soup in oven proof bowls and top with the mixed crumbs and
> cheese. Place under broiler until topping is golden brown and serve
> garnished
> with the chopped parsley. With a green salad and crusty bread this makes a
> healthy and satisfying winter meal.
>

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>>I have a culinary challenge.
>>
>> I want to repay a coworker for doing me a work favor by making him some
>> homemade soup. I suggested bean soup, and he said he loved lima beans.
>> Can anyone suggest a soup that has lima beans as a main ingredient?
>>
>> Other possible ingredients: I have a one pound package of "chili cut"
>> wild boar defrosting in the fridge. I also will probably be going by a
>> favorite Asian market tomorrow after church. They have pork neck bones
>> there.
>>
>> So, my mind is musing on a pork and lima bean soup. I'm assuming there
>> will be a strong stock, probably from pork neck bones I brown in the
>> oven. Onions are a given. For some reason I'm seeing them as very thin
>> half-circles.
>>
>> But what seasoning? And should there be a bit of darker green in there?
>> Maybe dark green leaves from bok choy? How about cilantro?
>>
>> Do Asians use anything like lima beans? Right now I'm mentally tasting
>> an Asian pork soup flavored with coriander leaves (cilantro) and also
>> containing onion and lima bean.
>>
>> Thought? Suggestions?
>>
>> PP

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world