Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Soup with lima beans?

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>>
>> I would make a soup like that with limagrands, those big white dried lima
>> beans.
>>
>> For the stock I would use a small porkette ham or a ham bone.

> I'm sorry, but I don't know what a "porkette ham" is.
>
>> Soak the beans over night first (best way) or do a quick soak same
>> day....
>> bring to a boil, let stand for an hour and then throw that water away and
>> do
>> it a second time and cook them with your ham.
>>
>> Add chopped celery, carrot, onion, garlic (generous) a potato, bay leaf,
>> salt.
>>
>> Cook it till the limas are really nice and soft.
>>
>> Take out the porkette, chop the ham up and return it to the soup.

> Hey, that sounds good! It'll have to be next weekend, since I didn't
> have a chance to get beans etc this weekend, and we're getting blasted
> with about a foot of snow tomorrow.
>
> Thanks!
>
> PP

A porkette is chunks of uncooked ham that are cut off the bone and slipped
into a wrapping. It is treated just like any other ham, except you don't
have to deal with the bone, and of course you wouldn't want to roast it in
the oven, but boil it instead. They are good for small families. The
more well known brand here is Freirich. They are excellent to cook up with
beans.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world