Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Arri London >
> > wrote:

> > > Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before
> > > simmering in the tea/soy sauce/spices mix. The eggs come out marbled,
> > > rather than the shells.

> > They tend to leak thru the shell anyway. <g> That kind of thing is fun
> > for party deviled eggs.
> >

> > > Ever try your method with red onion skins? Just curious.

> > A bit. They don't come out as heavily colored.

> Interesting.
>

> > > The colours of eggs dyed with red cabbage can be manipulated to some
> > > extent. Vinegar (acid) will keep it redder, more neutral solutions keeps
> > > it purple, baking soda (alkaline) will turn it greener. No idea what an
> > > egg steeped in baking soda would taste like, however LOL.

> > <laughs> The flavor of the onion skins DOES leak into the eggs. It's
> > rather pleasant. :-d
> > --

> Then maybe skip the baking soda one, yes?

I've not tried that so I cannot say. :-)

Someone posted that beet juice will make blue eggs if I add soda.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama