Posted to alt.food.wine
Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] is offline

Default TN ABC 1993 Reserve Chardonnay & 1975 Graacher Himmelreich Auslese

In article
cwdjrxyz > wrote:

> The 1993 Au Bon Climat, Estate Bottled, Santa Barbara County, Le Bouge
> D'a cote, Bien Nacido Vineyard, Chardonnay was bought shortly after
> release, stored properly, and there were no issues with fill or cork.
> I have reported on this wine before, and it has always been near the
> top. It is still holding very well and likely will do so until it is
> 20 or more years old. The regular ABC Chardonnays can be decent and in
> fact a better selection if you are going to drink them too young. The
> several reserves often require 10 years or more to peak. They are some
> of the most reliable Chardonnays from California. Although some other
> Chardonnays can equal or even top them in a few years, they seldom do
> so on a regular basis. This wine has much the same structure of a top
> Puligny-Montrachet, but a bit of grapefruit character and other slight
> differences say it is not from Puligny-Montrachet. If consumed too
> young, it perhaps has some of the character of a Corton Charlemagne,
> more grapefruit character, and rather sharp acid.
>
> The 1975 Graacher Himmelreich Auslese 1975, J.J. Prum, AP Nr.
> 2576511-2376 was bought shortly after release, was properly stored,
> and had no cork issues. It is still holding quite well and likely will
> do so for at least a few more years. The color is light yellow. It has
> the expected fruity bouquet and taste, and there is enough acidity to
> balance the sweetness. This does not have the nearly over-the-top
> tropical fruit and honey character that many wines from the very ripe
> 1976 vintage have. The aged Riesling petrol character is quite
> apparent, but very clean. I also have J.J. Prum's 1975 Wehlener
> Sonnenuhr, which is a somewhat more famous wine. Although I have not
> tasted these side by side, I would say the Graacher Himmelreich
> suffers only very little on comparison. It perhaps is not quite as
> complex and perhaps has more petrol character at this age. Of course
> if you do not compare the same years all bets are off. It also would
> not be fair to compare a Prum long gold capsule Wehlener Sonnenuhr
> with this Graacher Himmelreich.

I have to admire your patience. Au Bon Climat estate bottled seldom
lasts more than 10-12 years at my house and I have to remind my wife
they are too young at 3-5 years as she will drink them very young if
friends come over and she is popping corks.