Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Duwop[_2_] Duwop[_2_] is offline

Default Upright Smokers???

On Feb 28, 7:34*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "D K" > wrote in message

> > Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> Screened as in with a roof? *Where is the fire extinguisher? *How far is
> >> the fire department? *Ever see the accumulated grease catch on fire?
> >> Sorry, but that is too risky for me to recommend anything.

> > I have the same arrangement minus the "accumulated grease". *Where did you
> > get that?

> > -dk

> Put a couple of briskets in a smoker and you get grease. Put enough of any
> meat with fat and you get grease. *All it takes is one unanticipated problem
> and you have a grease fire. *All it takes is one time. *Yes, it happens.- Hide quoted text -

Hell yeah, fat burns really, really well. I could have a good fat fire
every 20 lbs of meat cooked. I supposed that's one of the good things
about uprights is that they don't collect fat deposits from cook to
cook. Though I got to imagine those uprights are a bit sloppy and
messy in their own right for the same reason.
If I had any sort of overhead cover near the cooker, I'd expect it to
collect grease as well. A fair amount of it really.