Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> I googled 'dyeing eggs red cabbage' and saw a couple of hits
> >> right away. First one was Martha Stewart, but she just used
> >> the red cabbage to make blue eggs. A different website mentioned
> >> rubber banding the cabbage leaves to get that vein-y look.
> >>
> >> If you do it, I hope it turns out well. Of course, there are other
> >> natural dyes aside from the onion skins and the cabbage.

> > That is why I started the thread. :-) I imagine beet juice would
> > make a good pink shell?

> Here's Martha's list, you're right about the beets:
>
> Deep Gold: Boil eggs in turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> Sienna: Boil eggs in onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> Dark, Rich Brown: Boil eggs in black coffee, 30 minutes.
> Pale Yellow: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> Orange: Soak eggs in room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> Light Brown: Soak eggs in room-temperature black coffee, 30 minutes.
> Light Pink: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes.
> Light Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 minutes.
> Royal Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution overnight.
> Lavender: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes. Follow
> with room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 seconds.
> Chartreuse: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 5 seconds.
> Salmon: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes. Follow
> with room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.

Thanks for this Nancy. I'm going to store this!
I've had miserable luck with "Paas" kits.

And I have found that onion dying flavors the eggs slightly, in a
positive way.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama