Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phred Phred is offline

Default Coconut oil [Was: Protein source for breakfast other than eggs, meat, or protein powder]

In article >, Omelet > wrote:
>In article
>,
> Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>
>> Very true, but far more associated with trans fats. That crap should
>> be outlawed, and folks who advocate eating it should be ridiculed.
>> The heads of companies who still put it in foods should be publicly
>> lynched.

>They are starting to outlaw it in some states.
>
>> Eat your eggs. I prefer mine jumbo size, and lightly basted in either
>> bacon grease or peanut oil. The goal is 100% solid white, 100% runny
>> yolk.

>Lately I've been using coconut oil more often than olive oil. :-) It's
>very good for eggs and is supposed to have LOTS of heart healthy
>benefits.

Probably because of its composition:
<quoting>
Coconut oil is a fat consisting of about 90% saturated fat. The oil
contains predominantly medium chain triglycerides, with roughly 92%
saturated fatty acids, 6% monounsaturated fatty acids, and 2%
polyunsaturated fatty acids. Of the saturated fatty acids, coconut oil
is primarily 44.6% lauric acid, 16.8% myristic acid , 8.2% palmitic
acid and 8% caprylic acid. Although it contains seven different
saturated fatty acids in total, its only monounsaturated fatty acid is
oleic acid while its only polyunsaturated fatty acid is linoleic
acid.

Unrefined coconut oil melts at 24-25°C (76°F) and smokes at 177°C
(350°F), while refined coconut oil has a higher smoke point of 232°C
(450°F).

Among the most stable of all oils, coconut oil is slow to oxidize and
thus resistant to rancidity, lasting up to two years due to its high
saturated fat content. In order to extend shelf life, it is best
stored in solid form (i.e. below 24.5°C [76°F]).
</quoting>
Ref: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil>

>I also have switched to coconut oil for shrimp. I used to use a combo
>of butter and olive oil for it. It is REALLY good.

I often use that sort of mixture. A bit of butter in the grease makes
for better browning.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID