Old 01-03-2009, 04:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

wrote:
On Mar 1, 7:59 am, "Nancy Young" wrote:

Years ago I saw something on tv that really caught my
imagination. Similar to the onion skins, wrap the egg in
a red cabbage leaf. The egg wound up with a lovely pale
blue color with veining from the cabbage. Gorgeous.

Of course, I only tried it once, I don't normally do Easter
eggs.

That sounds very interesting! I will try it this year and share with
my "Green Wednesdays" friends!

I googled 'dyeing eggs red cabbage' and saw a couple of hits
right away. First one was Martha Stewart, but she just used
the red cabbage to make blue eggs. A different website mentioned
rubber banding the cabbage leaves to get that vein-y look.

If you do it, I hope it turns out well. Of course, there are other
natural dyes aside from the onion skins and the cabbage.

nancy

That is why I started the thread. :-) I imagine beet juice would make a
good pink shell?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama