Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Protein source for breakfast other than eggs, meat, or proteinpowder

amandaF wrote:

> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

Egg white is a very complete protein with almost
no cholesterol. The cholesterol is nearly all
in the yolk.

The yolk also contains considerable vitamin B-12.
If you're not taking a B-12 supplement, half a yolk
with two egg whites would give you the B-12 without
being too bad on the cholesterol. Natural B-12 is
readily destroyed by heat, so a runny half-yolk
would be best.

Cardiovascular disease is correlated with cholesterol
consumption, but it's more strongly associated with
saturated fat intake. If you cut the cholesterol
down to zero, your liver would make cholesterol
to cover any shortage.