Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Why ?

"RodS" > wrote in message
>I was just watching an eposide of "How It's Made" they showed making hot
>dogs and I was surprised to see that they added HFCS to the mix. Why would
>you add sugar to a meat product ? The program originates in Canada but I
>would assume that it is also done in the U.S. , probabaly not here but I
>will check if they add HFCS or sugar here next time I go shopping.

When I was a kid, it was sugar they added. Now here, HFCS is cheaper so
they use that. My dad always said they added sweeteners and fat to foods to
give them an addictive quality, especially for children. And things that I
have read about this seem to bear this out.

I don't know what ingredients normally go into a hot dog. That's one food
that has never appealed to me and even as a child I wouldn't eat them.

I do know that plenty of meat has sweetener added. I am thinking of sugar
cured ham, honey roasted turkey, maple ham or sausages, and even BBQ sauce.

When I was a child, we read ingredient labels (if they were there) and
avoided those things with added sugar. Now I also avoid those things with
HFCS. I do make a few exceptions. Like when I buy BBQ sauce or ketchup.
But for things like canned vegetables, pasta sauce, etc., I don't want
sweetener added.