Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lou Decruss[_3_] Lou Decruss[_3_] is offline

Default Limburger Spread

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:01:57 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limburger_cheese

>> I knew even before clicking the link it was either Monroe or New
>> Glarus. In that area even the gas stations and truck stops on main
>> roads have little cheese shop areas you can buy it at. Monroe is the
>> home of Swiss Colony. Their yearly clearance sale is a foodies dream.
>> It's a 2 1/2 hour drive but well worth having a fun day and it's
>> beautiful up there.

>It's popular to deride Swiss Colony but my family and friends like their
>stuff and so I spend a good amount of money with them around the holidaze
>and for birthdays, etc. I have gourmand friends - including chefs - who
>spend big bux at foofie cheese places but they still like their Swiss Colony
>that I gift them with. A few years back the mother of one of my chef
>friends worked in the customer service dept. of SC around xmas, she did it
>to get outta the house during winter and also for the employee discount,
>which was IIRC 30%. I took advantage of it several times, my friend would
>order for me through her mom. Alas, SC closed their Monroe customer service
>center, I don't know where it is now...

I dunno either. I didn't get to go to the clearance last summer but a
neighbor did. She brought of two grocery bags of stuff. there was so
much I was embarrassed the gift seemed to extravagant and unwarranted.
She said the prices on the stuff was all 4 for one. So a big bottle
of fig balsamic vinegar marked down to a buck was actually 25 cents.
there were chutneys comparable to the stuff harry and david sells,
vinaigrette mixes, etc. Both bags cost her under 5 bucks. she had a
whole trunk load of stuff. Quite a haul.

>I have friends who every summer and fall go up to Monroe and environs to
>camp and go "cheese - hopping", they always have a blast. This year I hope
>to join them, it's a lovely area up there...not FLAT and BORING like
>Illannoy.

Mt. Horeb where the mustard museum is, is gorgeous.

Lou