Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Recipe: Sweet & Sour Cabbage (Another "heirloom" recipe)

"Kris" > wrote in message
On Feb 24, 8:49 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I don't remember my mother ever making this, either. She did note she only
> used 1 green pepper when they are expensive so she must have made this at
> some point. She also noted to put it in the refrigerator as soon as it is
> cool enough. So this is some sort of chilled cole slaw-type dish.
>
> Sweet & Sour Cabbage
>
> 1 head cabbage cut to desired size
> 2 sliced green peppers
> 2 onions, sliced
> 1 tsp. dry mustard
> 1 c. sugar
> 1 c. white vinegar
>
> Bring to a boil. Add 1 Tbs. salt/1 tsp. celery seed/1/4 c. oil. Toss after
> 4 hours.
>
> [Took me a minute to figure out she didn't mean cook it for 4 hours. And
> the reference to "toss" didn't mean throw it all away! LOL]
>
> Jill

I wonder if this is meant to be more like cooked red cabbage (although
white of course). Very German.

Kris

I wondered that, too, Kris. I thought it was a recipe for a cooked cabbage
dish (to be served hot) until I saw that it should be chilled. I'm not a
cole-slaw fan but I love hot cooked cabbage. And grandma was German I
might try it as a hot simmered cabbage dish one of these days.

Jill