BW

Default Question: "What's the thrill of cooking"

Thanks for your comments on topic so far. I was as honest as I could
be in my original posting. It could seem a little strange that I'm
asking "what's the thrill of quilting" one week and the next I'm
asking "what's the thrill of cooking". But my interest is the subject
of thrill which runs laterally through most other interest groups.

My search is taking me far and wide - and I see this as a strength in
what I'm doing. If I were to define thrill based on one group's
experiences, it'd be pretty one dimensional.

There was a comment about the website: this is really nothing more
than a storage area where the interviews can be enjoyed by the public.
I could keep the interviews private, but I made a choice at the
beginning of the project to make my whole process public. It does
leave me open to critics; but I know it's like trying to judge a loaf
of bread by eating raw flour early in the process - there's still a
huge amount of work to do!

What I'm working on at the moment is using this growing resource of
interviews to write a "lexicon of thrill" - a design tool to help
people understand the nature of thrill and apply it to whatever
they're designing - from architecture to chocolates. This section of
the work will be released in a few months time on the site.

I have been encouraged by most responses in the group. Could any one
of you take a wee bit more time to mould your thoughts around my
specific interview questions? I hope you can, because even though I
value the comments you make here, you'll find that the interview
questions probably make you analyse your own experience of cooking in
a way you haven't thought about before.

In anticipation,

Brendan Walker
Research Fellow, Royal College of Art