Posted to alt.food.sushi
Warren[_7_] Warren[_7_] is offline

Default Sashimi and wikipedia.

James Silverton wrote:
> Dan wrote on Sat, 21 Feb 2009 23:45:41 -0500:
>
>>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:23:16 -0500, "James Silverton"

>>> Although it is usually the only thing you can get, it *is*
>>> fake. I've never had real wasabi myself, but I'd like to try it some
>>> time.

>> I've had it a few times, its a bit different. Its not as
>> pungent and nasal burning as horseradish, and more grainy or
>> chunky since its coarse grated fresh.

>> I don't think I prefer real of "fake", they are just
>> different.

> The trouble about "real" and "fake" for wasabi is the associated
> psychological baggage like the perceived (probably wrongly) superiority
> of someone who knows what "real wasabi" tastes like :-) I wonder is
> there a Japanese word, whose real meaning practically no-one will know,
> for the green hot paste that is almost always served?

The "fake" wasabi is called seiyÅ wasabi (€œwestern wasabi€). And the
real thing is infinitely better, in my opinion. But then again I am
spoiled as I live in CT and spend most of my time in NYC where it is
available in most places I eat sushi. It really is a different beast to
me, though. I also buy the root at a local Japanese grocer for when I
make sushi at home. It is surprisingly not expensive when you do that
(not cheap, but reasonably expensive for an occasional evening).

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog