Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloomrecipe")

jmcquown wrote:
> This is from a newspaper clipping found in that old recipe box. Since
> Eisenhower (as well as Mamie) left office in 1961 it's a fair shake to
> say this newspaper clipping is pretty darned old The recipe was
> apparently listed in a number of "ladies" magazines during her husband's
> tenure at the White House and probably underwent many changes.
>
> Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge
>
> 4-1/2 c. sugar
> 2 Tbs. butter
> 1 tall can evaporated milk
> Boil 6 minutes
>
> Put in large bowl:
> 12 ounces German Sweet Chocolate [I'm guessing that's what I know as
> baking chocolate for German chocolate cake]
> 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
> 1 pint marshmallow cream
> 2 cups nutmeats
>
> Boil boiling syrup over ingredients in bowl. Beat until chocolate is
> all melted and pour in pan. Let stand a few hours until cutting. Store
> in tin box.
>
> Jill

It does not look very good (IMHO), but I've seen worse. :-)

The sweet chocolate refers to a bar (2 bars?) of "Baker's German's Sweet
Chocolate." (notice the extra apostrophe, it is significant) It is a
very specific brand of sweet baking chocolate. I'll bet you could
substitute another 12 ounces of chocolate chips and it wouldn't hurt a
thing. HTH

Bob