Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Recipe: Sweet & Sour Cabbage (Another "heirloom" recipe)

"Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig" > wrote in message
On Feb 24, 7:49 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I don't remember my mother ever making this, either. She did note she only
> used 1 green pepper when they are expensive so she must have made this at
> some point. She also noted to put it in the refrigerator as soon as it is
> cool enough. So this is some sort of chilled cole slaw-type dish.
>
> Sweet & Sour Cabbage
>
> 1 head cabbage cut to desired size
> 2 sliced green peppers
> 2 onions, sliced
> 1 tsp. dry mustard
> 1 c. sugar
> 1 c. white vinegar
>
> Bring to a boil. Add 1 Tbs. salt/1 tsp. celery seed/1/4 c. oil. Toss after
> 4 hours.
>
> [Took me a minute to figure out she didn't mean cook it for 4 hours. And
> the reference to "toss" didn't mean throw it all away! LOL]
>
> Jill

The usual method for this "Vinegar Coleslaw" is to NOT boil the
cabbage, but to bring the other ingredients to boil. When the sugar
is completely dissolved, pour over cabbage and let stand then
refrigerate. Celery seed and/or mustard seed (omit dry mustard) is
optional, and I omit the oil completely. I usually make this with
shredded coleslaw mix to which I add green or red bell pepper. This
will keep in your refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks. I have made
quantities as large as five gallons for big dinners. I put the stuff
in Industrial Size Ziplock Bags and put it in the fridge. It's safer
than creamy coleslaw on a buffet line or at a summer BBQ.
Lynn from Fargo
Lynn in Fargo

This is where these old hand-written recipes get confusing. I know cole
slaw isn't made with boiled cabbage At first I was thinking this was
cooked cabbage with some sort of sweet/sour sauce. I can understand why
this cole slaw would be safer than the creamy version at a cookout or
picnic.

Jill