Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Recipe: Sweet & Sour Cabbage (Another "heirloom" recipe)

I don't remember my mother ever making this, either. She did note she only
used 1 green pepper when they are expensive so she must have made this at
some point. She also noted to put it in the refrigerator as soon as it is
cool enough. So this is some sort of chilled cole slaw-type dish.

Sweet & Sour Cabbage

1 head cabbage cut to desired size
2 sliced green peppers
2 onions, sliced
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 c. sugar
1 c. white vinegar

Bring to a boil. Add 1 Tbs. salt/1 tsp. celery seed/1/4 c. oil. Toss after
4 hours.

[Took me a minute to figure out she didn't mean cook it for 4 hours. And
the reference to "toss" didn't mean throw it all away! LOL]

Jill