Posted to alt.food.sushi
wasabi wasabi is offline

Default Sashimi and wikipedia.

I think this argument will not come to any definite conclusion.
However,
> I wonder if people would actually ask a waiter or chef for "fake
> wasabi"?,
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not- Hide quoted text -

James, etal,

Legend has it that when the Japanese were first introduced to
horseradish (Armoracia rusticana), they referred to it as Seiyo Wasabi
because it had somewhat similar taste (but not appearance) to their
native wasabi (Wasabia japonica). Somewhere along the way the preface
was conveniently dropped form labels for export and the lines were
blurred. There are, however, significant and noteworthy differences
betweet these two Brassica cousins.

While there is little likelihood the world will catch on and start
differentiating between real and faux wasabi enmasse, anymore than we
will see a groundswell of effort to differentiate "real" vanilla or
"real" crabmeat, discerning chefs, foodies and consumers who
appreciate the not so subtle nuances will seek out the real deal.

Asking for Hon Wasabi may get you little more than a raised eyebrow,
but if you are lucky enough to be at one of the many restaurants that
do carry authentic fresh wasabi, you are in for a true treat. The
nuanced, clean flavor of real wasabi has never been well imitated.
Most substitutes are mere shadows of autenticity.

P.S. We grow authenitc wasabi on our farm in western NC, send it out
every week to fine restaurants and chefs and will begin offering
rooted plantlets this spring.