Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Chickeny spoon in chili sauce, toss the sauce?

In article
AndyHancock > wrote:

> On Feb 21, 4:14*am, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig >

> > Unfortunately, spicy/hot doesn't kill little beasties but *temperature/
> > hot does. * As long as the stew was boiling when *the spoon hit it and
> > then *the spoon went right into the chili stuff you should be good to
> > go. *Just to be on the safe side, keep the chili garlic stuff in the
> > fridge or freezer.

> Hi, Lynn,
>
> What is the difference between putting the spoon into chili sauce that
> will be used for months and keeping some liquid from the stew in the
> fridge for months?
>
> P.S. Really from Fargo?

I'm not Lynn and I don't play her on rec.food.cooking and a major factor
affecting the length of storage time will be in the acid level of the
product. Unless your stew liquid is quite acidic or has been properly
pressure-processed for long term storage, it will spoil in the fridge.
Freeze it and it will be fine.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller