Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig is offline

Default Chickeny spoon in chili sauce, toss the sauce?

On Feb 20, 10:36*pm, AndyHancock > wrote:
> So I was boiling up some chicken soup using cooked chunks of chicken
> meat. *I stuck a spoon into the boiling stew, then without thinking,
> used the same spoon to dig into a jar of chili/garlic sauce and plop
> it into the stew. *Then I realized that it was a bad idea since that
> jar of chili/garlic sauce could last for months. *I debated whether to
> toss the jar. *What a waste of yummy sauce.
>
> Any thoughts? *Would the hotness of the chili sauce prevent any
> contamination from turning into food poisoning? *The chicken stew sure
> tasted hot (and hence, good).

Unfortunately, spicy/hot doesn't kill little beasties but temperature/
hot does. As long as the stew was boiling when the spoon hit it and
then the spoon went right into the chili stuff you should be good to
go. Just to be on the safe side, keep the chili garlic stuff in the
fridge or freezer.
Lynn in Fargo