Posted to rec.food.cooking
AndyHancock AndyHancock is offline

Default Chickeny spoon in chili sauce, toss the sauce?

So I was boiling up some chicken soup using cooked chunks of chicken
meat. I stuck a spoon into the boiling stew, then without thinking,
used the same spoon to dig into a jar of chili/garlic sauce and plop
it into the stew. Then I realized that it was a bad idea since that
jar of chili/garlic sauce could last for months. I debated whether to
toss the jar. What a waste of yummy sauce.

Any thoughts? Would the hotness of the chili sauce prevent any
contamination from turning into food poisoning? The chicken stew sure
tasted hot (and hence, good).