Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Low-Iodine Diet (LID) recipe/menu ideas?

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Yes, Steve, I have stated that a deliberate attempt at
> losing weight does work for some people, including myself,
> but I also know that the same attempt by some other people is
> not as effective. I am still overweight, but I am also still
> losing weight. I also know that many people who are overweight
> are happy with their own situation and I don't find that or
> them disgusting. I didn't think we had a difference of opinion,
> but it may have been a difference in interpretation. Life is
> much to short to quibble over someone's physical attributes,
> or certainly not to hold that against them. I have known some
> rather overweight women whom I considered "grand ladies" in the
> kindest sense of the word. I have also known some overweight
> people who were very unhappy with their weight, but had never
> tried to do any thing about it. I felt that was sad.

I wish to poke at just the last two sentences. How do you know they
had never tried to do anything about their weight? Many people
try once, or twice, with a well-thought-out approach to losing
weight, but it fails to achieve sustained results. They then,
apprising themselves of what is known about weight loss, conclude
they are among the group that shouldn't keep trying, because
the result will be yoyo dieting and probable weight gain.

So if you know a person who isn't doing anything about it,
you might want to consider if this is because they have come to a
reasonable position on the subject, based on past weight loss attempts
that may be decades in the past even but which established
it wasn't going to work for them.

Just something to think about.

Steve