Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default P F Chang's Lettuce Wraps

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Cowgirl wrote:
>> Yes, just do something at home without the "special sauces".
>>
>> I like a Mexican flavoured beef in lettuce. Burrito style. You could
>> add more beans, less beef and nix anything that causes allergy. Don't
>> know what you could sub for sour cream though.
>>
>> You could still make the Asian flavoured chicken lettuce wraps if you
>> just used chicken, veggies and dash of black bean sauce.

> Forget black bean, just looked at the ingredients.

That figures. There are precious few sauces made up that we can eat. Can
do ketchup, some mustards, and now that she has outgrown the soy allergy,
gluten free soy sauce, but since I am avoiding soy, we do that quite rarely.

I was given a recipe for faux soy sauce and faux teriyaki sauce, but we
didn't like them. Just didn't taste the same at all.

I do have some sort of rice paper wrappers that I bought some time ago. Not
sure if they are still fresh or not. I saw some recipes for using them. I
think you just wet them and roll ingredients inside. Mainly the fillings I
saw were vegetables cut in thin strips. I think you could probably put
cooked meat in there too.

I haven't tried using them because Angela has been so picky lately and
resistant to trying anything new that I make. I tried doing some rollups
with corn tortillas. She used to like them with wheat tortillas. But corn
are just not the same. I can't say I cared for them either.

One quick meal I do make is canned refried beans on corn tortillas folded in
half and microwaved. I like to add onions and peppers to mine. They're not
too bad in the carb department so long as you get the small sized tortillas.