Dave Smith

Default Idiot BBQ freaks aren't RIB lovers; they are BBQ freaks (boiled ribs4ever!)

Ray Gordon wrote:

> I love the arguments we get here against parboiling ribs:
>
> "The flavor gets lost in the water!"
>
> "It's not REAL bbq!"
>
> To answer these concerns:
>
> 1. Pork ribs don't have much "flavor" to begin with. That's why we
> marinate them and rub them with spices. The actual flavor lost in the
> boiling is miniscule, and the saving in cooking time (and cleanup) is
> tremendous. It's also possible to combine the boiling water with the
> marinade so no flavor is lost.

I usually find that ribs that have been simmered do lack flavour. I prefer to
rub them with salt, pepper and garlic powder, put them in a baking pan, cover
with foil and seal the edges, and cook at low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Then
they can be finished off with a sauce.