sybil@steamwhis sybil@steamwhis is offline
Member

Hi there - I work at Steam Whistle and until the fall of 2007 we did have a locomotive on site. Canadian Pacific Engine #7069 was restored by Steam Whistle Brewing and the engine’s owners, Don and Doug Lister, and became an interactive stop on the brewery’s tour. After learning about its role in rail history, participants have the opportunity to operate 7069’s bell and warning horn.

In August 2007 a 50-Ton Diesel-Electric Whitcomb Switcher was delivered to the John Street Roundhouse and its proud “No. 1” marks this engine as the first to be specifically acquired for operation at the future-planned Toronto Railway Heritage Centre, next door to Steam Whistle, within the Roundhouse. The Whitcomb Switcher has enough power to move the largest locomotive in the collection, the giant Canadian National Railway steam locomotive No. 6213. This switcher has been used to move all of the rail rolling stock out of the Roundhouse while restoration and renovations are done to the interior which will eventually house the Rail Heritage Centre and a furniture retailer, slated to open sometime during the summer of 2009. Currently all of the locomotives and rail cars are sitting out in Roundhouse park, feet from Steam Whistle's doors, but are covered in large tarps to protect them from the elements until the rolling stock are restored and painted. Once this work is complete, Steam Whistle will resume sharing this information and experience on our tours again.