Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Doctor Mom

Kathleen wrote on Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:37:15 -0600:

> As for me, when the kids have nausea and vomiting I give them the
> heavy syrup from canned peaches to sip. Also popsicles And small
> amounts of cantelope - I don't know why that stays
> down but it usually does.

> The other first aid measure for the stomach flu is to keep
> their father away from them because he'll try to insist that
> they eat and drink to keep their strength up. Explaining that
> every time you vomit you not only lose what you ate or drank, you also
> lose additional fluid doesn't seem to sink in.

It may be said not to be the best by physicians but my "bad-cold" remedy
is to take an aspirin and then a mug of hot lemonade made with a real
lemon, plenty of sugar and a large shot of Scotch. I don't believe it
has any effect on the cold but going to bed afterwards usually results
in going to sleep quickly.

As for stomach flu, all I know is to drink innocuous mild fruity drinks
and go to bed. Food usually results in vomiting but lying down and doing
absolutely *nothing* can help. Doing nothing is about the limits of my
"activity" :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland