Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri maxine in ri is offline

Default Doctor Mom

On Jan 28, 3:11*am, Goomba > wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
> > I feel like shit. *I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
> > back to bed. *Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
> > either -- not even read. *(And that just kills me.) *So I've been flashing
> > back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...

> My mother swore by the restorative nature of hot, sweet tea. I dunno if
> it was the sugar or the caffeine (probably both!) but to this day I
> still swear by it.

It was the steamy liquid that she was trying to get into you. Drink
plenty of fluids. Warm ones tend to help ease congestion, clear nasal
passages, and all that good stuff. the sugar or honey soothed a sore
or scratchy throat, and also appealed to kids.

My Mom had us gargle with warm water mixed with Karo syrup and baking
soda. Talk about gagging a maggot!

With my kid and DH, I push hot drinks and salt water nasal sprays.

dr Mom in ri