Harry Demidavicius

Default 8.5 pound pork shoulder/boston butt - Cooked on Sunday 03/16/2004 - questions

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:33:18 GMT, "Tyler Hopper" >
wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:02:13 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
>> > wrote:

>> >My bet on 'why' is that ovens cycle on above and off below the target
>> >temp. (Hysteresis!) Smokers are more likely to run on a more even keel.
>> >An oven set for 300 will spend more time at 325-350 than a smoker set
>> >for 300.

>> My oven fluctuates +/-15 degrees before it turns on/off. I don't
>> think a temperature difference like that could speed up cooking by
>> 50%.
>>
>> I'm no thermologist though.

>To begin with, my oven thermostat is off 35 dF low. It's a digital so there's no
>margin for error setting a manual knob. Taylor makes an oven thermo that either
>sets on a rack or hangs from one. Highly recommended.
>
>I keep a largish pizza stone on the bottom rack all the time. Covers most of the
>rack. It has helped to even out temp. fluctuations immensely (ala a K).
>
>_________
>ht_redneck

My KA convection oven is bang on. But the cooker allows the
thermostat to be reset over a 30F range from the existing setting.
The adjustment is done with the digital control panel and not inside
the guts of the stove.

Harry