Tyler Hopper

Default 8.5 pound pork shoulder/boston butt - Cooked on Sunday 03/16/2004 - questions

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:02:13 GMT, "Monroe, of course..."
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:00:20 GMT, Woogeroo
> >>
> >> For some reason a brisket or shoulder done in an oven at the same
> >> temperature will always take about 1/2 the time as in any smoker.
> >>

> >My bet on 'why' is that ovens cycle on above and off below the target
> >temp. (Hysteresis!) Smokers are more likely to run on a more even keel.
> >An oven set for 300 will spend more time at 325-350 than a smoker set
> >for 300.

> My oven fluctuates +/-15 degrees before it turns on/off. I don't
> think a temperature difference like that could speed up cooking by
> 50%.
>
> I'm no thermologist though.

To begin with, my oven thermostat is off 35 dF low. It's a digital so there's no
margin for error setting a manual knob. Taylor makes an oven thermo that either
sets on a rack or hangs from one. Highly recommended.

I keep a largish pizza stone on the bottom rack all the time. Covers most of the
rack. It has helped to even out temp. fluctuations immensely (ala a K).

_________
ht_redneck