Woogeroo

Default 8.5 pound pork shoulder/boston butt - Cooked on Sunday 03/16/2004 - questions

8 1/2 pound pork shoulder/boston butt(call it what you want) - weighed
on a scale to be sure.

I cut some slits in the meat, and stuffed in soem slices of onion, and
poured in variosu spices... red pepper, black pepper, italiaan
seasoning....

I have an old style, large big green egg.The old style egg only go up
to around 300-350 - instead of way up to whatever the new ones go up
to.

I loaded up the egg with charcaol, got the fire going.

put the grill on.

I took a 10 inch cast iron skillet, and placed it on the grill. I
placed a small grill on top of the skillet. I placed the meat on top
of this grill. I filled the skillet with water.

Closed the egg and got the dome temp up to around 225 and kept it
between 225-240 all day.

So I cooked it from 8 am- 5:30pm - read 200 degrees. I like it to pull
apart nice and gooey.

Everything I have read, states that for a pork shoulder... cook it 1.5
hours per pound at 220 f dome temp

1.5 times 8.5 = 12.75

Mine was done at 9.5 hours. It was awesome.

I am wondering if it is the egg itself, or the combination of the egg
and the cast iron skillet used as a drip pan - added to the quicker
cooking time?

Just curious...

thanks.

this is the 3rd or 4th pork shoudler I have doen this way - and it
cooks a little quicker.

bye now,

-W