Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] is offline

Default Is RISOTTO hard to make at home?

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 07:56:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

>>"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I think the restaurant featured in "Hell's Kitchen" must take some kind of
>>>shortcuts with the risotto, because when the contestants (who really don't
>>>deserve to be called "chefs") make it by whatever method is practiced in
>>>that kitchen, it leaves the kitchen only two or three minutes after the
>>>order is called out.

>>Do you think restaurants make it to order from scratch every time?

> i don't have any experience, but i would think it would hold pretty well,
> maybe adding the cheese at just before serving.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Adding cheese and butter to ordinary cooked rice an calling it risotto
is an old trick.

Here's Escoffiers version.

Rice cooked in the Piedmont way (Risotto)

4 oz. butter
1 tbs. finely chopped onion
8 oz. rice
S & P
2 & 1/4 cups boiling consomme
grated Parmesan cheese

Heat half the butter in a pan, add the onion, and when it begins to
brown mix in the rice and stir with a wooden spoon for 1 minute and add
seasoning.

Add one third of the consomme, continue to stir and when the liquid is
absorbed, add another one third of the consomme.

When absorbed, add the rest. Continue cooking and continue to stir the
rice. By this process a creamy rise is obtained to which finally the
rest of the butter and cheese is added.

Note - If preferred, the risotto can be cooked by adding the consomme
all at once, in which case the pan should be covered and the rice cooked
without stirring. Butter and grated cheese is then added as before.
Also a little chopped ham and sliced white Piedmont truffles may be added.

Risotto is a popular basis or accompaniment for ragouts, chicken saute,
game, etc.

Italians prefer the rice rather undercooked, generally 15 - 16 minutes.
----

For a Milanese risotto use veal stock. For Portuguese style use grilled
sweet red peppers, tomatoes & saffron. A favorite of mine is riz au
beurre, buttered rice, where the rice (1 cup) is cooked in the ordinary
manner but with the addition of about 2 tbs. of butter to the water and
rice as it cooks. When the rice is finished cooking another 2 tbs. of
butter is added. This can then be seasoned to taste with herbs, garlic,
cheese & etc.

I particularly like riz a beurre for leftover stir fried rice. Just add
some chopped green onions, peas, mushrooms, shrimp & etc. and saute
quickly in a hot pan.
--
JL