Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Is RISOTTO hard to make at home?

Dragonblaze > wrote:

>Here's a simple recipe:
>
>Risotto con Lenticchie e Salamini - Italy

>[snip]
>Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the
>onion. Fry over a low heat until soft and translucent. Add the
>potatoes, celery, carrots and tomato. Fry gently for 2 minutes. Add
>the rice and stir to coat each grain. Stir in 1 ladleful of the broth,
>lentils and sausages. Allow to be absorbed into the rice before adding
>the next ladleful, stirring continuously. Repeat until all is
>incorporated and the rice is creamy and soft, but with a little bite
>to the center. Check the seasoning and serve.

I'll quibble with "stirring continuously". I think you want to
be stirring only about half the time, maybe even a little less.
I think it can become too gummy with too-continuous stirring.

There are a lot of possible outcomes in terms of texture,
so a good prerequisite is having experienced risotto of the "right"
texture (or at least, one that you would like to duplicate) so
that you know what you're going for.

Steve