Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kris[_1_] Kris[_1_] is offline

Default What is a substitute for kitchen twine?

On Jan 23, 3:04*am, "Theron" > wrote:
> "Kris" > wrote in message

> On Jan 22, 6:52 pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:33:25 -0800 (PST), Kris >
> > wrote:

> > > I have to tie the stuffed rolls with kitchen twine
> > >before I put them in the oven.

> > Go to an ACE hardware and buy 100% cotton twine. Probably 100% less
> > than buying at Williams Sonoma or your local "high end" grocery
> > supplier.

> Excellent idea! There's an Ace nearby, too.
>
> BTW, I was checking "high end" stores because I figured they were more
> likely to carry it.
>
> So the string is a bad idea? I was a bit worried it would "cut" into
> the meat a little.
>
> Thank you,
> Kris
>
> Cotton twine is absolutely the best to use! Our local hardware has old
> fashioned cotton twine, as, I'm sure, does yours. *I have another secret I
> haven't seen anywhere. To make bouquet garni, I use medical 4X4 bandages. *I
> buy them in bulk at a medical supply house. One package of several hundred
> lasts a long long time. Since they're small, though with the right degree of
> porosity, you waste much less of your stock than with cheesecloth. I use
> this for making stock, and for any braised dish. Inside goes the dried or
> fresh herbs, the celery tops, the parsley, and anything else you're using..
>
> Theron

Well, I can see that this newsgroup is fll of resourceful cooks! I
went to my Ace and bought cotton twine. Ironically enough, they also
had kitchen twine (so much for my "high end" store theory!) - the same
price for about 1/4th of the twine!

I also love the idea of medical gauze for garnis - I will remember
that one when my current cheesecloth runs out!

Thanks to all! I now can enjoy making my braciole without stress!
(Giada's recipe - really delicious by all acoounts so far!)

Have a great weekend,
Kris