Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Barack Obama's Chili Recipe

On Jan 18, 8:05*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > No doubt Obama grew up with and has a taste for the local Hawaiian-
> > style chili which is pretty unique. Hawaiian-style chili is rather
> > soupy and contains no corn flour as a thickener. It's made with ground
> > beef and always contains beans - mostly canned kidney beans. It tends
> > to be on the sweet side and is eaten on white rice. It's obvious that
> > he has eaten a lot of Zippy's Chili from that popular local restaurant
> > chain. I've eaten a lot of the stuff too. I will aways get it with
> > cheese and onions on top. The local rumors that I've heard is that the
> > secret ingredient in Zippy's chili is mayo but don't tell anybody that
> > I said so - after all, I have a wife and kids... :-)

> Sweet? *At least his recipe has no sweetener in it!
>
> --
> Jean B.

Many folks have tried to come up with their version of this dish, I
suspect there is some sugar in there. The sweetness could be from the
addition of ketchup too. There's talk of a secret ingredient but
nobody quite know how to recreate this. I've seen a recipe that
includes cream of mushroom soup. Haha. Zippy's chili is supposed to be
based on Cincinnati-style chili but I know nothing about that.