Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking
Joe Cilinceon[_3_] Joe Cilinceon[_3_] is offline

Default Roll out, kneading board - treat with oil?

Dan Musicant wrote:
> Today I made repairs to the board I use (a slide out below a drawer)
> on which I roll out pizzas, knead doughs, etc. After doing this I
> sanded with progressively finer sandpaper using an orbital sander
> finishing with 220 grit paper.
>
> Is it customary to treat boards such as this with mineral oil such as
> a cutting board?
>
> Dan

Now if all you use this board for is dough which ( I use a marble slab for )
then I wouldn't oil it. However regular wooden cutting boards I do use a
mixture of mineral oil/bee's wax about once a week. Neither food safe
mineral oil nor bee's wax will ever go rancid and I clean my cutting boards
(all wood) with vinegar/water solution after each use. Using mineral oil
only is fine but will weep out over time, while with the bee's wax it will
help seal it. Here is the site of the guy I buy my boards from with his
instruction. http://www.theboardsmith.net./caring1.htm

--

Joe Cilinceon