Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] is offline

Default Thai food recommendation

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 20:05:37 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> My husband and several of our friends like Thai food, but I don't do hot,
>>> peppery spices (ginger, garlic, etc. are fine). I know next to nothing
>>> about Thai food except that the few times I've tried something it was too
>>> hot for me. I'm thinking that surely there must be at least one dish I
>>> could eat. Any recommendations?

>> Pad Thai is not at all spicy and everyone loves it. Satay pork is quite
>> nice. Panang beef is a favorite. You can always ask them to hold off on
>> the spices for any dish. They will typically cook it mild if you ask.

>I agree about the Pad Thai. I have never found that to be spicy. We have
>a nice Thai restaurant near here and they will adjust the spice to your
>taste using a scale of 1 to 5. The last time we were there with out son
>we toned it down because , while my son and I both like hot spicy food,
>my wife refers it somewhat milder. So we ordered one dish at 2 and the
>other at 3. The 2 was mild for my taste, but the 3 was really hot. They
>must use a logarithmic scale. I hate to imagine what 4 or 5 would be like.

Once I ate at a Thai restaurant with a friend who'd lived in Thailand
while she was in the Peace Corps. They'd prepared an off-menu feast
for us featuring dishes from the rural northeast of the country --
Isan cuisine. Everthing was delicious, but it wasn't as spicy as I
had expected.

Between courses, my friend told the server -- in Thai -- what I'd
said. The next dish out of the kitchen was mind altering. Scorchingly
wonderful to eat, but I was driving home and had to stop before the
endorphins got me too high.
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat