Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking a 3 pound standing rib

On Sat 10 Jan 2009 08:50:12p, dsi1 told us...

> On Jan 10, 5:36*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:

>> > too.

>> > ===================
>> > Hey! *You ARE from Hawaii!
>> > Lynn in Fargo (North Dakota)
>> > switched to SPAM Lite!

>> I know a lot of people like Spam, at least occasionally. *Me, the very
>> sight or smell of it makes me want to barf. *Odd thing, though, is that

>> absolutely love Underwood Devilled Ham. <g>

> Whatever you do, don't read the ingredients listed on the can while
> you're eating the Underwood spread!

Too late! LOL! I already know what's in it. I suppose one reason I like
it is because we always had a can around the house for that moment when we
wanted something quick to spread on crackers or a sandwich.

OTOH, we *never* had Spam at home. My mother considered it garbage meat.
We also never had the typical luncheon meat at home, only good salami and
other Italian and German meats one could make a sandwich with.

> I'm not a real big fan of Spam - it's healthier that way. The funny
> tastes of the folks here is partly because of the relative isolation
> and because the canned product was more available after WWII. We also
> prefer the fake soy sauce to the real stuff. Aloha shoyu is the most
> popular brand.

Understood. Isolation from a plentiful supply of fresh products can
certainly alter everyday habits and taste.

From what I understand, Spam was highly available almost everywhere after
WWII, and it was a cheaper alternative to a "real" piece of meat. Both
sides of my family had owned farms during those years, although they didn't
farm them themselves. They also raised cattle and hogs, and had them
butchered. Real meat was always plentiful.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 01(I)/10(X)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 1dys 2hrs 53mins
Enter that again, just a little slower.