Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

Susan > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> > Mmmm! Linguini Vongole Bianca! Haven't had it in a while. A couple of
> > pounds of fresh clams (Cherrystones or Little Necks), a couple of cans
> > of chopped clams, a bottle of clam juice. Don't forget the Pinot
> > Grigio. Mama mia! Mangia! Mangia!

> Your forgot the crapload of garlic and fresh parsley!

Since I was responding to Evelyn's use of canned clams, I didn't mention
the "crapload" of garlic. Here's my complete recipe:

Linguini Vongole Bianca (White Clam Sauce)

Serves 4

3/4 cup of EVOO
4 to 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley or 1Tbs dried
1Tbs chopped fresh basil leaves or 2 tsp dried
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves or ½ tsp dried
A large pinch of dried oregano
ground white or black pepper to taste
1-1/2 Dozen Cherrystone Clams shelled and chopped with juices reserved [see
NOTE below]
1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dry Marsala or white wine
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
1 pound of linguini

1. Heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium heat.
2. Add garlic, cook until lightly browned. Add mushrooms, cook 'til soft.
Stir in parsley, basil, thyme, oregano and pepper. [see NOTE below]
3. Add Clams with their juices, bring to a boil then lower heat to a
simmer and cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in whipping cream and wine; heat
through, stirring occasionally.
4. While the sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Add 1 Tbs of salt, two Tbs EVOO and the linguini.
5. Cook uncovered over high heat until Al dente.
6. Drain pasta, put back in pot add some butter and some of the sauce to
the pot and mix it up.
7. Dish out pasta spooning remaining sauce over top.
Garnish with chopped parsley and grated cheese.

NOTE: Clams were $6 a pound. I bought 1-1/2 pounds, which turned out to be
eight Little Necks. I let the Little Necks relax in one litre of cold
water with 7-1/2 tsp coarse Kosher salt (simulated seawater) for about
1/2 hour, then scrubbed them with a coarse brush. I also bought a can of
chopped clams in clam juice (next time I'll buy two, maybe three) and a
bottle of clam juice.

When the mushrooms were done, I added 1/2 cup of Pinot Grigio, turned the
heat up, put in the whole clams, covered and steamed 'til they popped open.
I removed them and proceeded as above, adding 1/2 cup of additional clam
juice and slightly reducing the sauce. Next time I'll reduce the sauce
more. Served with grated cheese and a couple of whole clams on top, plus a
couple of glasses of vino. Everyone's happy!

RSVPN

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.