Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Got my 6 qt crockpot

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Now what shall I make with it? What are your favorite things to do
>>> with a crockpot? I like to make soup. I just ordered some new soup
>>> mugs that are unbreakable. We have three different kinds because we
>>> keep breaking them.

>> I use mine almost entirely for soups and stews. I love lamb shank
>> stew and lentil soup best.

> Thanks! Lamb must be cheap there. Here it costs about a dollar a
> bite so not something I buy much of. Occasionally I will let Angela
> have a lamb kebob from the store, but husband won't eat it and not
> something I fancy trying.
>
> I like lentil soup, but nobody else in the family does. They won't
> eat bean soup either. So I just go without or on a rare occasion get
> something in a can.

Lamb kebabs cost the same as beef or chicken ones but lamb cuts from the
butcher are an obscene price. Every so often a special comes up though and I
grab a few shanks. They melt in your mouth in the crockpot. In soups I use
lentils or barley or some kind of beans. Pasta and rice turn to mush. I also
use less in a crockpot than I would in a casserole dish or saucepan as they
soften and plump more (talking the beans, barley, lentils etc now). My crock
pot stews and soups are based around lots of veggies. Basically carrot,
turnip, onion, garlic, celery (plus the leaves, chopped), some cabbage if I
have it as it bulks it out, and always a large can of crushed tomatoes,
juice and all. That means I only have to put in a little water, if any. I
use stewing meats and they melt in your mouth. Sometimes chicken or lamb
shanks but mostly beef. I use ham hocks or bacon bones for soups usually
plus a bit more water and the lentils/barley.