Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow[_142_] Gregory Morrow[_142_] is offline

Default Anyone got a non-BBQ pulled pork recipe for a slow cooker?

Hoges in WA wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> >
> > merryb wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 30, 4:28 pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> >> merryb wrote:

fresh

> >> cooking...in
> >> stews

one
> > of

> >> So for your bread, are you subbing all the water with beer? I bought
> >> the book last week, and am planning on doing the caraway rye tonight
> >> or tomorrow...Guiness would be excellent in rye...
> >> ------------------------
> >>
> >> GM replies:
> >>
> >> I start off with some lukewarm water for the yeast and then most of the
> >> added liquid is beer, I'd say about 80%...
> >>
> >> I make "cheddar onion beer bread" by adding the beer, then I add some
> >> shredded sharp cheddar and some dried dehy onion to the mix. Very easy,

> > very
> >> tasty...
> >>
> >> I like to add dried parsley or Italian seasoning to the mix...onion or
> >> garlic powder or whatever.
> >>
> >> I also sprinkle the tops of the loaves with kosher salt and sesame
> >> seeds...gives a nice appearance and taste. So far I've primarily been

> > using
> >> regular unbleached flour, also some oat bran and whole wheat
> >> flours...I've
> >> also added instant mashed taters to my dough to make "potato bread" and

> > have
> >> added oatmeal to the dough. You can experiment with all kinds of stuff,

> > you
> >> can't go wrong. You can be very sloppy with measuring ( I don't even
> >> measure anymore, just eyeball it) and the results will be just fine...
> >>
> >> My doughs tend to be wet and heavy, it can take more than an hour to

bake
> >> large loaf. I start out at 500 degrees for 15 - 30 minutes and then

turn
> > it
> >> down to 425 or so for the remaining time...works fine.
> >>
> >> I am going to try some rye soon...
> >>
> >> I've found that a little Guinness can go a *long* way, I've made

Guinness
> >> Stew that was too "Guinness - ey"..."YMMV", natcherly. Let us know how
> >> the rye turns out...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best
> >> Greg

> > Thanks for all your info- I really wish I had more time in the day to
> > "play with my food", but you know....I like how versatile this idea
> > is...have you made any sweet doughs? I made Limpa the other day, and
> > it came out nice- the rye flour is a nice addition.
> > ------------------
> >
> > GM replies:
> >
> > No sweet doughs yet, I'll look at the Limpa recipe...
> >

> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> How do you get the salt and sesame seeds to stick to the top of the crust?
> I can never get the stuff to stay on, even when I spray with my water
> bottle.

My dough is pretty wet, so no probs with sticking to the top. Supposedly
you are supposed to slash the tops of these loaves which I really don't
bother with, one of the "secrets" to successful slashing of the tops is to
sprinkle some flour on the top so the slash will "hold". I tried that a few
times and failed, I actually prefer the kosher salt and sesame seeds on top.
You could also coat the tops of the loaves with butter, the salt and
whatever would probably adhere okay...

--
Best
Greg