Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Pico de Gallo seasoning

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:35:02 -0600, Becca wrote:

> koko wrote:
>
>> For years I had never heard of pico de gallo in a salsa form, I had
>> always known it in the dry form.
>>

>> hope this helps I'm still looking for the recipe to make some. I love
>> challenges.
>>
>> koko

> The pico de gallo I grew up with, resembles salsa without the juice.
> Maybe that is a Texas thang.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_de_gallo
>
> Becca

You got it, Becca. Anything else is an imposter. Hell, in CA, even 7-11's
typically have pdg in the condiment trays, always fresh. It's gotten so I
can't eat a hot dog (chi-dogs excepted) w/o pdg.

Made in pure form, pdg is a bit dry, as roma tomatoes don't have a lotta
juice. Most of the juice is from a squeezed lime, but you don't wanna over
do that, either. My solution for, say, a dip is to make the traditional
pdg (mince), then take a small portion, puree it, than add back to whole
mix. Both methods have their advantages, like the drier version for hot
dogs.

I've never added any spice to it, other than salt, the jalapenos being more
than sufficiant. I'f I was going to, though, I'd add a bit of ground NM
chile powder mix, mix being the powder reconstituted with water.

I've had a lotta experience with the dry spice sprinkle mixes, too, but
I've never seen one labelled pico de gallo. That's not to say they don't
exist, just I've never seen one. I used to buy several brands at the Mex
fruit stand around the corner. Love the stuff. I think it was originally
for raw jicama, but works on most anything, like melons, avacadoes, etc.
The two basic types are plain chile and chile with lime. It's mostly
synthetic (yes, Mexicans use synthetics!) flavorings with a load of salt,
but some are actually pretty good.

nb