Posted to alt.food.diabetic
MaryL MaryL is offline

Default New Year's black Eyed Peas

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> We don't do the the Black Eyed peas..we do sauerkraut and pork. I usually
> take a pork loin and rub some garlic and salt and pepper and then place it
> on a bed of sauerkraut and onions...Serve it with mashed potatoes...we
> also have applesauce on the side.. My husbands family are Pennsylvania
> Dutch....pork and Sauerkraut are their traditional meal. My Mothers Father
> was from Germany and they always had pork and sauerkraut. My Mom always
> fixed Pork Ribs and Kraut

I grew up in Ohio, and we had the same meal. The tradition was to serve
sauerkraut, pork, mashed potatoes, and sometimes applesauce at midnight.
That supposedly brought wealth and good luck. We bought the type of
sauerkraut sold in flexible bags (from the refrigerated sectionof the
grocery). My mother would rinse the sauerkraut several times, then cook
large quantities of that with lots of port buried in it. She would use pork
chops, pork ribs, and sometimes even some sausage. It would be slow cooked
all day, and the pork would be so tender that it would fall apart as we
scooped it out of the roaster.

MaryL