Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Linen and No More things

On Mon 22 Dec 2008 09:35:30p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
>> I have bought a fair number of items online where the shipping far
>> outweighed the cost of the product, just because it was *exactly * the
>> product I needed and could find nowhere else. That's something to be
>> considered, especially if you're only ordering once or very
>> infrequently.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Same here within the last year. It took a while for me to accept the
> heavy shipping charges for a single, almost-weightless item, but it is
> getting harder and harder to find the product one wants/needs at a
> store.

Indeed it is.

> I have some items that I have been putting off buying because the
> company shipped previously without discussing the shipping charges with
> me, even though I requested it -- my first-time order. I had asked that
> they not put the order in for shipment until they told me the shipping
> charges, which they forgot to do. They also charged me shipping again
> for an item that was back-ordered when they told me they would not. I
> love their products, and the people are nice, but shipping charges is
> not one of the guessing games I prefer to indulge my time.

I've been lucky in that regard, but I have a friend who has had an ongoing
dispute with a company she regularly deals with over just the same issues.
It's frustrating.

> It's a game of bite-the-bullet on some products.
> Dee Dee

Another thing I try to avoid is buying from an online store that happens to
have any type of real store in my local state, because not only can they
charge their over-the-top shipping charges, but also our 8% sales tax. At
least, to a point, if I can save on not paying the tax, it does help
rationalize paying the high shipping. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 12(XII)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
1dys 10hrs 14mins
Life is a tragedy in close up, but a comedy in long-shot - C. Chaplin